A DOL doctor is beneficial in the federal workers’ comp process. They do more than examine you. They are familiar with the workers’ comp process. They will make sure you file your claim correctly.
DOL doctors take that extra step to fill out claim paperwork by the book. They will increase the chances that your claim will be approved.
You may need to bring additional paperwork to your DOL doctors appointment. The examination process may also be different than other types of appointments.
This article will review what you can expect during a DOL doctor’s appointment to ensure you are prepared.
What Should I Bring to My DOL Doctors Appointment?
Your DOL doctors appointment will help you establish your claim and win your case. Therefore, you should bring anything you need to prove the extent of your injuries. You will also need to be prepared with other documents and information that help guide your treatment.
Be prepared to provide your doctor with:
- A list of current medications: Medication information ensures your doctor does not prescribe you anything that will cause interactions. It also gives them an indication of your symptoms.
- A list of symptoms: Be as clear as possible when explaining your symptoms. Explain where you are feeling pain, and the frequency and intensity of the pain. You may want to take notes before your doctor’s appointment to ensure this information is accurate.
- Details About What Caused the Injury: Your doctor will ask you what caused the injury. Accurate details will help your doctor prove your claim. Additionally, it’s always wise to record the details of your accident with notes, records, and eyewitnesses. These pieces of evidence will increase your chances of receiving benefits.
- Limitations: Be prepared to tell your doctor how your injury has affected your life. Explain how it interferes with daily and work tasks. This information will help establish damages and reduced work potential if applicable.
- Imaging and Test Results: If you received any imaging or testing for your injury before your DOL doctors appointment, bring it with you. The doctor will review it to determine the extent of your injury. It will also eliminate unnecessary testing.
- A Friend or Relative: A friend or relative will help you understand the doctor’s recommendations. They can ensure you follow treatment recommendations.
- Assisted Devices: Bring any assistive devices you need, such as crutches or slings. If you have modified your home to accommodate your disabilities, make the doctor aware of these modifications.
What Should I Expect During My DOL Doctors Appointment?
During your DOL doctor’s appointment, your doctor will ask you a series of questions so he or she can better understand your condition. They will ask you about your symptoms, medications, limitations, and the causes of your injury. They may also ask you to perform range of motion exercises to determine how your condition affects your movement.
A DOL doctor serves two purposes. On one hand, they will work on a diagnosis and treatment plan that helps you heal and return to work quickly. They also fill out paperwork to ensure you get the claim amount you deserve.
Never be dishonest about your injuries or exaggerate the truth. Dishonesty can lead to inaccurate diagnoses and ineffective treatment. It may also cause you to lose your benefits.
Refrain from criticizing your employer or colleagues during your DOL doctors appointment. It’s unprofessional and the doctor won’t want to hear it. Furthermore, the doctor may network with your employer’s insurance so it could get back to them.
What Should I Expect After My DOL Doctors Appointment?
Immediately after your DOL doctors appointment, your doctor may call you into their office to consult with you on the results. They will also write any necessary prescriptions. They may schedule a follow-up appointment.
They will also fill out paperwork to be submitted to the Office of Workers’ Compensation (OWCP). They may file the paperwork in front of you and give you a copy. Or they may fill it out later and send you a copy.
What are the Benefits of a DOL Doctor?
- They will ensure your claim goes through: Many workers comp claims get rejected because paperwork is not filled out accurately. A DOL doctor will fill out your paperwork correctly. They will ensure your claim isn’t rejected due to a technicality.
- They provide a high level of service: Most DOL doctors have extensive medical experience under their belts. They will get to the root of your problem and help you achieve the best possible outcome. They will be there to answer any questions you may have.
- You can focus on healing: Stress can negatively affect your ability to recover from injuries. A DOL doctor will take care of your paperwork so you can focus on healing.
- Allows you to become familiar with the paperwork process: A good DOL doctor will provide a transparent explanation of the paperwork process. They will explain each step so you understand what’s going on with your claim. They will put you in a better position in the unfortunate event that another work-related injury occurs.
A DOL doctor will ensure your workers’ comp claim runs smoothly. If you know what to expect at your DOL doctors appointment, you will be off to a great start.
This article explains how to prepare for your DOL doctors appointment and what to expect during and after the examination. It discusses DOL doctor benefits so you can understand the advantages of the medical care you are receiving. It will get you headed in the right direction with your workers’ comp claim.